The purpose of the Librarians’ Council is:
- To administer the Librarians’ Handbook and Council Bylaws.
- To provide a forum for the exchange and discussion of ideas
- To encourage professional excellence through the promotion and continuing appointment process
- To foster an atmosphere of collegiality and ethical conduct
- To support the professional growth of librarians
- To provide input on the formulation and implementation of library policies
- To advise the University Librarian on major issues facing the Libraries
University Libraries’ employees with an ALA accredited master’s degree, or a recognized and vetted foreign equivalent, and professional faculty appointment constitute the membership of the Council.