Services to Distance Education Students and Faculty
Requesting Books from the George Mason University Libraries
You must be teaching or enrolled in a qualifying Distance Education Course to be eligible for this service.
Go to the Mason Libraries' Interlibrary Loan
page and log in using your Mason email username and
- You must have a George Mason University ID card to request books because you
will be asked to enter the barcode from the card on the request form. (The
barcode number begins with 22777..) If you do not have a Mason ID card,
Mason Distance Education to find out how to obtain one.
- The first time you log in, you will be asked to fill out a profile page,
which will require you to give us your mailing address and other
information. To have books sent to you, you must choose Distance Ed Faculty,
Distance Ed Grad or Distance Ed Undergrad from the Status dropdown menu. You
will also be asked to tell us what distance course you are enrolled in. If
you cease to be enrolled in distance education, you must return to the User
Information page in your Interlibrary Loan account and edit your status information.
- After submitting your profile information, you will see a screen that
permits you to place document delivery requests. On the left side of the
screen, under Place a Request, click Book Request.
- Enter all of the required information about the book you are
- Books will be sent to you using UPS or other comparable service.
- If you receive books owned by the George Mason University Libraries, the
books will be charged out to your account in our Voyager catalog system, and
you will be able to see a list of Mason-owned books that are checked out to
you, check the due dates, and renew them
online. The due
date will also be displayed on the slip inserted into the book. Loan periods
and other circulation policies can be viewed here.
- If you receive books that we have obtained from another library through
Interlibrary Loan, the books will be charged out to your account in our
ILLiad system, and you will be able to see a list of Interlibrary Loan
books that are checked out to you,
check the due dates, and request renewal
online. The due
date will be noted on the green bookstrap on the cover of the book. Please
be aware that books obtained through Interlibrary Loan usually cannot be
renewed, so you should use Interlibrary Loan books as soon as you receive
- Books that we send to you are securely packaged and insured, and we can
track them through UPS. Because of this, we take financial responsibility
for them until they reach you - if they are lost on their way to you, you
will not be charged for them. Once they have been delivered to you, they are
your financial responsibility. Please pay attention to the due date for
their return and send them back 2-3 business days before they are due to
allow time for shipping.
- We include a prepaid UPS label for you to use to return books to us. You
must securely package the books and return them to us using this label. If
you use the return label that we provide, you will cease to be responsible
for the books as soon as UPS accepts them. If you choose to use some other
method to return books to us, you will be held financially responsible for
them until we receive them.
- Some books, including reference books, rare books, textbooks, recently
published books, books from the Law School Library, and others, are not
shipped to distance education patrons. The Libraries reserve the right to
make this determination about any materials that are requested. You will be
notified if your request cannot be filled.
- For any questions regarding this service, please contact the Interlibrary
Loan and Document Delivery Office at (703) 993-2228 or illloan @ gmu.edu.