Updated: August 6, 2020, 9pm
All library facilities are closed to visitors.
During this pandemic, University Libraries will continue to provide networked resources and services to the Mason community. We will be expanding and enhancing these services wherever and whenever possible.
In accordance with the university's Safe Return to Campus plans, we anticipate reopening library facilities with the start of the fall semester on Monday, August 24.
New! See our updated FAQs for Fall 2020.
Our digital collections continue to be accessible and other digitally-enabled services will be delivered without interruption. The following services that are particularly relevant to online learning are highlighted for our students, faculty, and staff.
Digital Access to Books in Mason's Collection
Thanks to a cooperative agreement between University Libraries and the HathiTrust, Mason students, faculty, and staff now have online access to hundreds of thousands of books from our library's stacks. To access a digital version of a book from Mason's collection, you must sign in to the HathiTrust and then perform a search for the title(s) you are interested in reading. For those books where Mason also owns a copy of the title and HathiTrust offers a scanned version of the contents, a "Temporary Access" link will appear. Click that link and you can "check out" the title for online viewing during a one hour "exclusive access" period (renewable under certain conditions). Full details on this emergency temporary access service (ETAS) are available at https://www.hathitrust.org/ETAS-User-Information
For an overview of our services for online learning, see https://library.gmu.edu/for/online
Virtual Reference (Online Research Help)
- Expanded Summer (June 1 - August 23) hours during the COVID-19 Pandemic
- 10 am – 8 pm M-Th
- 10 am – 4 pm F
- 12 pm – 4 pm Sat/Sun
- Closed Sat/Sun Aug. 22-23
- Fall Hours (August 24- December 16)
- 10 am – 10 pm M-Th
- 10 am – 4 pm F
- 12 pm – 4 pm Sat/Sun
- Labor Day Weekend 9/5, 9/6, & 9/7: CLOSED
- Fall Break: Monday, 10/12: 10:00am – 4:00pm
- Thanksgiving Break: 11/25-11/29: CLOSED
- Library instructors are available for online library instruction
- If faculty need additional tutorials for a course, please contact Janna Mattson
- Access our library tutorials at https://library.gmu.edu/tutorials
Research / Course Guides
Remote Research Assistance
- Subject Librarians
- Subject Librarians offer remote research assistance to students or faculty.
- Special Collections Research Center Contact email@example.com
Fair Use & Copyright Information
- Copyright considerations when moving a course online.
- Items on reserves questions: https://library.gmu.edu/for/instructors/reserves
- Streaming media questions: https://infoguides.gmu.edu/media
- Find open educational resources for your courses from across the internet: https://mom.gmu.edu
- We know students require access to course materials, and library staff are working hard to deliver those electronically through E-Reserves at https://library.gmu.edu/reserves. Faculty and students are encouraged to contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions about the Reserves process or access issues.
Interlibrary Loan & Document Delivery
- Interlibrary Loan is able to request articles, chapters, and section scans at this time. Please fill out the Interlibrary Loan request form. Beginning Monday, August 10, ILL will be able to process and fulfill interlibrary loan requests for physical items with our WRLC and Virginia Research Library partners. While many libraries remain closed or are offering limited services, ILL will explore all options in securing physical materials in addition to our scanning/electronic delivery services. Faculty, students, and staff are encouraged to contact the ILL/Document Delivery department at email@example.com with questions or concerns.
Due Dates / Fines / Fees
- Due dates for borrowed library materials have been extended to September 30, 2020.
- All overdue fines (as of March 23, 2020) are suspended, including those for interlibrary loan materials.
- Accounts questions should be directed to the Fenwick Library Information Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org
- For those unable to travel to campus prior to their items' due dates, items can be returned using the following mailing address
4400 University Drive, MSN 2FL
Fairfax, VA 22030