The University Libraries boast a robust collection of audiovisual media, both at the library and streaming online. The AV collection is housed in Room 1B, Fenwick Library, Fairfax Campus, and contains media on VHS, DVD, and Blue-ray. The music collection is housed on the second floor of Fenwick Library, Fairfax Campus, and contains music on LP, cassette, and CD. The Arlington Campus Library and Mercer Library, Prince William Campus, also hold some curriculum-related materials.
- A large music collection spanning a diverse array of musical genres and decades
- Rare, independent, and foreign films available only in DVD and VHS
- Thousands of streaming videos and music recordings, accessible on campus or at home
Check out the Film and Video Studies Infoguide for tips on accessing media or to contact the Multimedia Literacy Librarian.
Viewing & Listening
- Rooms 1610 and 1612, Fenwick Library 1B: Media viewing rooms with VHS, Blue-ray, and multi-region DVD players with headphones. Students can check out a key and remote controls at the information desk (valid Mason ID required).
- Media Station, Fenwick Library 1B: located to the right of the look-up computers in Fenwick 1B,and can be used without checking out a key.
- Extendable DVD Drives: can be checked out from Fenwick Library Info Desk to plug into laptop computers
- Desktop computers, 2nd floor, Fenwick Library: all computers in Fenwick Library have DVD drives to accommodate media viewing and listening
- Fenwick Library, 2nd Floor: audio stations, including cassette and LP players.
- Music recordings (CDs & LPs): 2 weeks
- Videos (DVDs & VHS): 7 days
- Course Reserves: 4 hours for students; 24 hours for faculty and staff
Late fees for media items are $5 per day, with a maximum fine of $25.
Patrons may renew Mason items 3 times (except affiliate members who may renew once). Media requested by other patrons will not be renewed. Media reserve materials are not renewable. Ways to Renew:
- Online: My Library Accounts
- In person: Visit the circulation desk at any library location.
- On the phone: Call 703-993-2243 and follow instructions provided.
- Presentation Practice Rooms, Fenwick Library 3111, 3102
Practice rooms for individuals or groups interested in preparing and refining oral presentations.
The University Libraries does not have production software resources, but below are other locations that do:
- Student Technology Assistance and Resource Lab (STAR), Johnson Center, Room 229
- Collaborative Learning Hub (CLUB), Johnson Center, Room 311
- Student Video Center (SVC), For Film And Video Studies (FAVS) and Communication majors, David King Hall, Room 1011
George Mason University policies regarding copyright and academic integrity must be strictly followed when using and creating media. For standards of Fair Use, copyright information, or consultation, contact the media librarian, Heather Darnell, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Place a media item on course reserve for student use.