In addition to our day-to-day work here in the Libraries, Libraries' faculty and staff are involved in a variety of activities on and off campus: conducting workshops, publishing articles, receiving grants, forming partnerships, serving as expert panelists, contributing to professional organizations, and many other endeavors. See below for what we are up to this academic year, and visit our archives page for past accolades.
Kathleen Bell, Grants, Planning, and Assessment Analytics Officer
- Awarded 2017 LibPMC Travel Award to attend 12th International Conference on Performance Measurement in Libraries in Oxford, UK (July 2017).
Rebecca Bramlett, Special Collections Research Services Coordinator
- Member, RBMS Conference Development Committee, Rare Books and Manuscripts Section, Association of College and Research Libraries (2017-19).
- Member, RBMS Conference Planning Committee, Rare Books and Manuscripts Section, Association of College and Research Libraries (2018).
- Co-Presenter, “Stronger Together: Collaboration in Special Collections Instruction,” Washington Research Library Consortium Annual Meeting (March 2017).
Kathy Butler, Health Sciences Librarian
- Awarded Senior Status in the Academy of Health Information Professionals of the Medical Library Association (October 2017).
Jessica Clark, Development & Communications Officer
- Co-author, "Rhetorics of Proposal Writing: Lessons for Pedagogy in Research and Real-World Practice," Journal of Technical Writing and Communication (December 2017).
Ian Fairclough, Cataloging & Metadata Librarian
- Member, Sharing Expertise Committee, Washington Research Library Consortium (2017-18).
Michael English, Online Learning Coordinator & Instruction Librarian
- Co-Recipient, H.W. Wilson Library Staff Development Grant, American Libraries Association (March 2017).
Steven K. Gerber, Music, Theater, and Philosophy Librarian & Adjunct Professor, School of Music
- Co-Director, "Peter Ritter Chamber Music Performing Edition," GMU-OSCAR Undergraduate Research Team Project (Summer 2017).
- Presenter, "Knowledge Visualization in a Musicology Seminar Using the Scalar 2 Platform," 9th Innovations in Teaching and Learning Conference, George Mason University (September 2017).
- Presenter, "Mentoring Novice Music Editors, or How I Spent My Summer with Old Manuscripts and New Software," Atlantic and Greater New York Chapters of Music Library Association Conference, Rutgers University (October 2017).
- Composer, Fanfare for Thirty in Thirty for symphony orchestra, commissioned and performed by Reston (VA) Community Orchestra (November 2017).
Ashley Howell, Metadata Specialist, Resource Description & Metadata Services
- One of 50 participants selected for the ALA Emerging Leaders 2018 Program, and one of 35 participants sponsored by the ACRL European Studies Section (2018).
Madeline Kelly, Head, Collection Development
- Co-Chair, Collection Development Initiative, Association of Southeastern Research Libraries (2017-19).
Margaret Lam, Physical Sciences and STEM Data Librarian
- Treasurer, Physics-Astronomy-Mathematics Division, Special Libraries Association (January 2016-December 2017).
Janna Mattson, Instructional and Social Sciences Librarian
- Editor, Framing Information Literacy: Teaching Grounded in Theory, Pedagogy and Practice (May 2018)
Mary K. Oberlies, Conflict and Peace Studies Librarian
- Secretary, Politics, Policy and International Relations Section, ACRL (2017-19).
- Chair, Communications & Publications Committee, Politics, Policy and International Relations Section, ACRL (2017-19).
Michelle Polchow, Electronic Resources Librarian
- Presenter, "Text Mining Virtual Reference through a Collection Management Lens: Extracting Insightful Stories and Operationalizing Data for Strategic Allocation of Resources." Charleston Library Conference, Charleston, SC (November 2017).
- Presenter, "Professional Librarianship: Career & Education," Panel Discussion Representing Academic Librarianship, Catholic University of America, Washington, DC (March 2018).
- Presenter, "Collection Development Insights Informed by Text Mining Virtual Reference," Washington Research Library Consortium Annual Meeting, Washington, DC (March 2018).
- Author, "Leveraging Licensing to Increase Access. Presented by Jennifer Chan, Scholarly Communication Librarian, University of California, Los Angeles." Journal of Copyright in Education and Librarianship, 2(1), 1-3 (2018).
- Originator, Electronic Resources Interest Group, Washington Research Library Consortium (2018).
- Member, Accessibility Committee, Code4Lib Conference, Washington, DC (2018).
Laura Ramos, Resource Sharing Librarian
- Member, Resource Sharing Advisory Committee, Washington Research Library Consortium (2017-18).
Beth Roszkowski, Team Lead Social Sciences & Head, Arlington Campus Library
- Co-Chair, Academic Outreach Committee, University Libraries Section, American Library Association (2016-18).
- Member, Executive Committee, University Libraries Section, American Library Association (2016-18).
Robert L. Vay, Archivist
- Curator, “Chalkboards to Smartboards: Public Schools in the County of Fairfax and Fairfax City,” Fairfax Museum & Visitor Center (March–July 2017).
John W. Warren, Director, Mason Publishing/George Mason University Press
- Member, Research Committee, Library Publishing Coalition (2017).
- Member, Library Publishing Coalition Board (2017-18).
- Participant, Leadership Legacy Program, George Mason University (2017-18).
- Author, Impact Module for the Curriculum to Advance Library Publishing, Educopia Institute and Library Publishing Coalition (2017-18).
- Member, Arts and Humanities Commission of the City of Takoma Park (2017-20).
- Presenter, "Extending and Measuring Impact," "Getting the Word Out: Strategies for Reaching Your Readers," and "The University Press and the Library Publisher: Spanning Boundaries to Create Diverse, Equitable, and Inclusive Professional Development Resources for Library Publishers," Library Publishing Forum (May 2018)
John G. Zenelis, Dean of Libraries and University Librarian
- Chair, Nominating Committee, State Council of Higher Education for Virginia – Library Advisory Committee (2017).
- Invited Participant/Contributor to “University Futures, Library Futures: Supporting Liberal Education” consultation session, a research project funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and conducted by OCLC Research and Ithaka S+R (January 2018).