For article requests, see Delivery Services.
Set up your Account
When you request an item for home delivery, you will be asked to enter your G number in the request form. If you do not have a Mason ID, please contact the Mason Card Office for information on obtaining one.
Then, activate your ID on the Mason Libraries' InterLibrary Loan page:
- Go to the University Libraries' Interlibrary Loan page.
- Log in using your Mason email username and password.
- The first time you log in, you will be asked to fill out a profile page, which will require you to give us your mailing address and other information.
- Choose Distance Ed Grad, Distance Ed Undergrad, or Distance Ed Faculty from the Status dropdown menu.
- When you are no longer enrolled in a Mason Online hybrid or fully online course, you must return to the User Information page in your Interlibrary Loan account and edit your status information.
Books and media items from the Mason circulating collections may be borrowed, but periodicals, some reference books, and some audiovisual materials do not circulate outside the University Libraries.
Additionally, some books, including reference books, rare books, reserve items, and books from the Law School Library, are not shipped to patrons. The Libraries reserve the right to make this determination about any materials that are requested. You will be notified if your request cannot be filled.
- Log into ILLiad, the Interlibrary Loan system.
- On the left side of the screen, click Place a New Request. Next, click Book or Media Item Request.
- Enter all of the required information about the item you are requesting.
- Check the Yes box for the question Are You a Distance Education (DE) Student or DE Faculty Member? This will open two fields where you will need to input your Distance Education class number and section, and your G number.
Books will be sent to you using UPS or another comparable service.
- Books that we send to you are securely packaged and insured. We can track them through UPS. We take financial responsibility for them until they reach you: if they are lost on their way to you, you will not be charged for them.
- Once they have been delivered to you, they are your responsibility. You will be charged for any damages to the items or loss of items which have been delivered to you.
We include a prepaid UPS label for you to use when returning books to us. You must securely package the books and return them to us using this label.
- If you use the return label that we provide, you will cease to be responsible for the books as soon as UPS accepts them. If you choose to use some other method to return books to us, you will be held financially responsible for them until we receive them.
- Please pay attention to the due date for their return and send them back 2-3 business days before they are due to allow time for shipping.
Books owned by the George Mason University Libraries will be charged out to your account in our Voyager catalog system
- You may use the Library website to see Mason books checked out to you, check due dates, and renew items online; simply go to "Borrow & Renew" and click the "My Mason Library Account" link.
- The due date will also be displayed on the slip inserted into the book.
- You are responsible for returning books on time and following other circulation policies. You may see Mason loan periods and other circulation policies on the Library website. Go to "Borrow, Renew & ILL" and click "Circulation Policies" link.
Books obtained from another library through Interlibrary Loan (ILL) will be charged out to your account in our ILLiad system
- You may use the Library website to see ILL books checked out to you, check due dates, and request renewal online; simply go to "Borrow, Renew & ILL", click the "Interlibrary Loan (ILL)" link and follow the directions.
- The due date will be noted on the green bookstrap on the cover of the book.
- Books obtained through Interlibrary Loan usually cannot be renewed, so you should use Interlibrary Loan books as soon as you receive them.