George Mason University graduate students, who need dedicated quiet space for thesis and dissertation work on the Fairfax or Arlington campuses, may apply for exclusive use of the Dissertation Writers Rooms (DWR), or the Graduate Student Research Zone Carrels.
Only graduate students who are in good standing with the University and University Libraries are eligible. Space in the DWRs is limited to doctoral students who have passed comprehensive exams. A section of the form must be completed and signed by the student’s department to verify eligibility.
DWR Spaces are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis until filled each term. Carrels assignments will be determined by a drawing during the early part of each academic term. Submit the form at the Information Desk of the requested library.
Currently accepting applications for carrels during the Fall 2017 academic term. Space is granted on a first-come, first served basis.
- Fenwick Library 5th Floor
- Twenty-five (25) assigned carrels
- Shelves to store research materials
- Restricted access with a unique door code or individual keys
- Students may not specify which carrel they prefer
- See the Fenwick DWR Request Form
Accepting applications for carrels during the Fall 2017 academic term through August 31. Spaces allocated by drawing on September 1.
- Fenwick Library, 5th Floor, New Addition
- Fifty-five (55) assigned carrels
- Desk with two (2) lockable storage units for research materials
- See the Graduate Student Research Zone Study Carrels Request Form
Accepting applications for carrels during the Fall 2017 academic term through August 24. Space allocated by drawing on August 25.
- Five (5) assigned carrels in the Dissertation Writers Room (DWR), Room 350
- DWR has restricted access with a unique door code, and shelf space for research materials.
- See the Arlington DWR Request Form