George Mason University graduate students, who need dedicated quiet space for thesis and dissertation work on the Fairfax or Arlington campuses, may apply for exclusive use of the Dissertation Writers Rooms (DWR), or the Graduate Student Research Zone Carrels.
Only graduate students who are in good standing with the University and University Libraries are eligible. Space in the DWRs is limited to doctoral students who have passed comprehensive exams. A section of the form must be completed and signed by the student’s department to verify eligibility.
DWR Spaces are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis until filled each term. Carrels assignments will be determined by a drawing during the early part of each acadmic term. Submit the form at the Information Desk of the requested library.
There is still space in the Fenwick DWR Applications for the Summer 2017 semester are currently being accepted. Space is granted on a first-come, first served basis.
- Fenwick Library 5th Floor
- Twenty-five (25) assigned carrels
- Shelves to store research materials
- Restricted access with a unique door code or individual keys
- Students may not specify which carrel they prefer
- See the Fenwick DWR Request Form
All spaces in the Graduate Student Research Zone have been filled for the Summer 2017 semester.
- Fenwick Library, 5th Floor, New Addition
- Fifty-five (55) assigned carrels
- Desk with two (2) lockable storage units for research materials
- See the Graduate Student Research Zone Study Carrels Request Form
All spaces in the Arlington DWR have been filled for the Summer 2017 semester.
- Five (5) assigned carrels in the Dissertation Writers Room (DWR), Room 350
- DWR has restricted access with a unique door code, and shelf space for research materials.
- See the Arlington DWR Request Form