George Mason University graduate students, who need dedicated quiet space for thesis and dissertation work on the Fairfax or Arlington campuses, may apply for exclusive use of the Dissertation Writers Rooms (DWR), or the Graduate Student Research Zone Carrels.
Only graduate students who are in good standing with the University and University Libraries are eligible. Space in the DWRs is limited to doctoral students who have passed comprehensive exams. A section of the form must be completed and signed by the student’s department to verify eligibility.
DWR Spaces are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis until filled each term. Carrels assignments will be determined by a drawing during the early part of each acadmic term. Submit the form at the Information Desk of the requested library.
Now accepting applications for the Fall 2016 semester. Space is granted on a first-come, first served basis.
- Fenwick Library 5th Floor
- Twenty-five (25) assigned carrels
- Shelves to store research materials
- Restricted access with a unique door code or individual keys
- Students may not specify which carrel they prefer
- See the Fenwick DWR Request Form
Fall carrel drawing is COMPLETED; winners contacted by e-mail. You may apply for the upcoming academic term.
- Fenwick Library, 5th Floor, New Addition
- Fifty-five (55) assigned carrels
- Desk with two (2) lockable storage units for research materials
- See the Graduate Student Research Zone Study Carrels Request Form
Now accepting applications for the Fall 2016 semester. Carrel assignments will be determined by a drawing.
- Four (4) assigned carrels in the Dissertation Writers Room (DWR), Room 347
- DWR has restricted access with a unique door code, and mobile storage units for research materials
- Two (2) assigned carrels with lockable storage space, located in quiet corner on first floor of library
- See the Arlington DWR Request Form