The following public use policies apply to the Arlington Campus, Fenwick, Gateway and Mercer Libraries (Law Library's policies)
- Onsite use of print materials is available to the general public.
- Borrowing of Mason-owned items may be available to certain groups or for a fee through the Passport Program.
- Onsite use of electronic resources is available to the public from university-owned computers.
- Offsite access is limited to current faculty, staff, and students who have a mason login due to licensing agreements. Many public libraries provide access to electronic resources for their patrons.
- Study space is limited in most of the libraries, but visitors may use any available study carrel.
- Reference assistance is available to the general public, though university students, faculty, and staff are given priority. Visitors may request an individual consultation with a subject librarian.
- Public computers are available that enable access to online resources.
- Wireless access is not available to the general public. Faculty and staff may sponsor Guest Access.