The Reservable Graduate Writing Spaces program is currently suspended in Fenwick Library. The study carrels on the fifth floor of Fenwick are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Study rooms remain available for short-term reservation.
George Mason University graduate students, who need dedicated quiet space for thesis and dissertation work on the Fairfax or Mason Square campuses, may apply for exclusive use of the Dissertation Writers Rooms (DWR), or the Graduate Student Reserved Carrels.
Graduate students who are in good standing with the University and University Libraries are eligible. Space in the DWRs is limited to doctoral students who have passed comprehensive exams. A section of the form must be completed and signed by the student’s department to verify eligibility.
Reserved carrel assignments are determined by a drawing each academic term. Submit the form at the Information Desk of your preferred library.
Fenwick Library Dissertation Writers Rooms
- Fenwick Library 5th Floor
- Twenty-five (25) assigned carrels
- Shelves to store research materials
- Restricted access with a unique door code or individual keys
- Students may not specify which carrel they prefer
- Deadlines and policies are stated on the Fenwick DWR Request Form
Fenwick Graduate Student Reserved Carrels
- Fenwick Library, 5th Floor, New Addition
- Fifty-five (55) assigned carrels
- Desk with two (2) lockable storage units for research materials
- Deadlines and policies are stated on the Graduate Student Reserved Carrels Request Form
Mason Square Library Graduate Carrels
- Three (3) assigned carrels in the Dissertation Writers Room (DWR), Room 350
- DWR has restricted access with a unique door code, and shelf space for research materials.
- See the Mason Square DWR Request Form